Pages

Saturday, February 9, 2019

Canadian West Series by Janette Oke


About the books:


A beloved series from Janette Oke! Nothing in her cultured upbringing prepared Elizabeth for life in the West. The frontier will test this teacher's faith but also stir her heart. 

Books in the series: When Calls the Heart, When Comes the Spring, When Breaks the Dawn, When Hope Springs New, Beyond the Gathering Storm, and When Tomorrow Comes.

Review


I've read many of Janette Oke's books, however, I think this series is one of my favorites. It is set in the 1910s- in Canada. The focus of most of these books was of God being your strength. I really liked that!

The main character, Elizabeth, reminded me a lot of my youngest sister. Reading it from her perspective was fun. ;) Elizabeth was dainty, girly, and loved frills and fancy items.
Wynn was a quiet, serious character. He was in the North West Mounted Police. I liked his commitment to his country and fellow Canadians- especially the Native Americans.
Julie, who was Elizabeth's sister, was the baby of the family. She was bubbly, vibrant, and outgoing. There was never a dull scene when she was around. :)

I also enjoyed learning more about the Native Americans who lived in the North where Wynn was posted.

The last two books, Beyond the Gathering Storm and When Tomorrow Comes, weren't my absolute favorites. I felt like the first four books were way better. I never really enjoyed Christine's point of view. I liked Henry's point of view, though.

Overall, it was a great series! :)

5 comments:

  1. I loved reading those books!!!
    I have re-read them a couple times. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look really good! I need to read them! I have only watched the movies...
    -Brooklyne

    ReplyDelete