Pages

Saturday, November 16, 2019

National Collection Week - OCC ~ Show His Love

Today, I have something special for you all! This upcoming week, (November 18-25th), is National Collection Week for Operation Christmas Child. My family and I have packed boxes for years; and have always enjoyed it immensely!
My sister has really taken off with creating things for little kids. Last year, in the fall of 2018, I wrote this story for her. My sister creates absolutely beautiful and amazing items for so many little children. She is the one who gave me the inspiration to write this story. :) 

Show His Love


Excited, squealing kids swarmed around us and the yaks that carried the OCC shoeboxes. We began opening and passing out individual boxes and placing them in the children's waiting arms. As I looked past the sea of smiling faces, I saw a little girl, about three years old, peeking out from behind a tree. She was watching the commotion with wide, dark eyes. She looked like she wanted a box, but was hesitant to come near the excited jumble of kids.

I searched through the pile of boxes on the ground, grabbed a box from the girls' 2-4 section, removed the tape, and walked toward the little girl. She crept from behind the tree, and moved in front of it and sat down. She watched me, hungrily looking at the box.

Just looking at the small girl brought a soft smile to my face. I sat down next to her, and gently handed her the box.

She made a small noise of excitement, and opened the box. She spotted a doll, wrapped up in a fuzzy, adorable, turquoise and multi-colored blanket. A joyful squeal erupted from the little girl. Gently, but excitedly, she lifted out the doll. She stared at the baby doll,  then placed it in her arms and held it close, a happy smile on her face.

After holding the doll for several moments, she then continued to unwrap the other contents of the box, excitement still evident on her face. The items included: a toothbrush, a washcloth, soap, a puzzle, and a beautiful headband; not to mention other things. She loved it all; although her favorite item was definitely the doll. She held the doll like she would never let go. After a few moments, she looked up at me, smiled, and whispered, "Thank you".

This was what it meant to show the love of Jesus. I had never seen it expressed in such a way before. I loved handing out the shoeboxes, gazing into those beautiful eyes; watching them light up as they open their box. It fills you with a joy that cannot be expressed in words. I would not give up this experience for the world.

~~~



So, go pack a shoebox! Make a child's day; or you may even change their life! If you want to hear more, go to their website. :)

8 comments:

  1. Love this story you wrote! Thanks for writing it, sister!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great story! I love packing those boxes! I have always wished I could see the look on each child's face as they open up their boxes.
    ~Elate

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just love this!! I can’t wait to hear where our boxes went this year. <33 Also this was the first time our church had a packing party and it was AMAZING!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kass! <3 Packing parties are awesome! :)

      Delete