Pages

Saturday, June 22, 2019

O To Be Like Thee by Kassie Angle ~ Book Review


Synopsis 


"But four years ago I had never known what it was to depend on God to save a soldier's life because I had never known what it was to be completely powerless in your own strength and knowledge, no matter how much you knew. I had never known that to be truly brave, you must trust the Lord, because I had never been asked to be truly brave."

Corey Schreiber didn't want to learn those things-not like he did, anyway. It's hard enough to deploy back-to-back without your friends-or you- becoming part of the casualties. Corey can learn pretty quickly to trust the Lord on the battlefield. Will he trust God with his broken heart? 

This is a military novel written by a daughter of a vet who is gifted in research. You will find that she compels your attention throughout the 300+ pages as she exalts Christ. Vets, family of vets, first responders, and anyone who is a patriot will lose themselves in this story. 

Review


Wow. I don't even know where to begin. O To Be Like Thee was a beautiful, amazing book!
This book wasn't full of long descriptions of scenery, which I was totally okay with. The way it was written is one of my favorite styles of writing- in depth, passionate, amazing characters! The characters were real and raw. 

Typically, a book has one really important "lesson" the readers take away from the book. O To Be Like Thee had multiple beautiful lessons sprinkled throughout the whole thing. It is about God healing your broken heart. I really appreciated the faith themes woven throughout.

Now, onto the characters. Corey was an incredible character, and he reminded me of myself in more ways than one. ;) I loved how he stilled played with his younger siblings and with little Kendall even though he was an adult.
Maysen was an amazing best friend to Corey. I enjoyed hearing about their friendship!
Kendall was a little boy of about 5-7 years of age. He was so sweet, and his childlike way of looking at life was bittersweet.
The surrounding characters were awesome, too! From the little Afghan girl to the scared young medic, I felt like I got to know each and every one. The friendships between the characters were great!

Few favorite quotes:
“And you’ll learn. It’s not that you’ll lose your sensitivity. If this is what God has made you for, you’ll always be tender towards your soldiers...”

"It's amazing how deep love runs..."

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like a really good book!
    -Brooklyne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for this, Molly!! It's so sweet to see what you think. �� I'm glad you liked it so well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Kassie! I really enjoyed it! <3

      Delete